Pages

26 January 2011

Teething Necklace

This blog is supposed to be about all of the things babies need or want and a teething necklace, in my opinion, is definitely a need. I thought I'd have a while longer when Bay surprised me by beginning teething at 8 weeks. At first, she just drooled more, but one day she screamed until I instinctively [I guess] wet the corner of a cloth, put it in the freezer for a minute, and gave it to her to chew. She chewed it for a couple of minutes and passed out.

I'm not completely opposed to giving medicine to Bay but it's always my last resort. I had read about Baltic Amber and its healing properties before so once it was clear she was in fact teething [doctor confirmed it], I immediately ordered a necklace for her. There is a good selection at Granola babies [with free shipping, too] but I searched Amazon for one with rounded beads and found this great seller. I got it on Christmas Eve, very quickly after ordering, and put it on her immediately. I am happy to report that she has had zero teething pain since about 12 hours after I put it on her, which was over a month ago!

Here's how Baltic Amber works, taken from The Art of Cure's description:

A Baltic amber teething necklace is made for wearing (not chewing) when a baby is teething. This can be worn alone or paired with a Baltic Amber Teething bracelet. The warmth from the skin releases the active ingredient in the Baltic amber, succinic acid. Recent scientific research has proved that succinic acid has a very positive influence on the human body. It improves immunity and the balance of acids when absorbed into the bloodstream; it stimulates the thyroid glands to help reduce drooling and soothes red inflamed cheeks. 

Amber's anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties are recognized by allopathic medicine as a natural analgesic, which will help to relieve teething pain and calm a baby without resorting to drugs. The skin's warmth releases healing oils from the amber, a resin, which is absorbed into the bloodstream.

They come in many colors but I had read somewhere that there is a higher concentration of succinic acid in the lighter colored amber. Here's a photo of the one I got:
You can find the necklaces and bracelets on several sites but the important things to look for are:

+Knotting between each bead so that if it breaks, only one bead falls off.
+A screw closure, which makes it so easy to put on a squirmy baby.
+Beads sized for baby: they should be small enough that if they were somehow swallowed, the baby wouldn't choke on them.
+String that will stretch and break if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment