Pages

06 May 2011

Real Housewives' Baby Names: New York City

I decided to take one Real Housewives franchise at a time and comment on their children's names. Since it's on right now and is one of my favorites, I'm going to start with New York City.
Photo here
Alex McCord and Simon van Kempen
Sons: Francois and Johan

Considering the number of things I hate about Alex and Simon, I'm surprised that their kids' names didn't make that list. While I think they chose French names to fit with the rest of their overly pretentious/ wannabe social-climbing lifestyle, I still think they're great names... if only they lived in France. 

In one of the early episodes, Jill told Alex that the kids [particularly Francois] would be made fun of if he didn't go by a more Americanized nickname like Frank or Frankie [I forget which]. I assumed that New York would have enough international influence to avoid that problem but apparently not. Generally, though, I approve of the names: B+.
Photo here
Jill and Bobby Zarin
Daughter: Allyson "Ally"

Allyson is Jill's daughter from a previous marriage but she goes by Ally Zarin. According to Behind the Name, Allyson is a legitimate variant of Allison [a male name]. While I don't mind Allison in theory, I don't think I would use a -son name for my daughter. It didn't bother me until recently and the more I hear it, the less I approve.

I also really dislike the nickname Ally/ Allie. If you're going to use the name, go with Allison and call her that. Grade: D-.
The 2009 Astaire Awards: LuAnn de Lesseps with her children, Noel and Victoria
Photo here
Countess LuAnn de Lesseps
Son: Noel
Daughter: Victoria

I love LuAnn's children's names. Unlike Alex, LuAnn actually had much more of a reason to choose traditional French names: her ex-husband is a French Count from a prominent family and she's of French descent as well. She opted for English names, though, and they seem to fit her kids well.

I wish more people realized that Noel is a boy name and I'm so glad Victoria doesn't go by Tori or Vicky. I give LuAnn an A.
Photo here
 Ramona and Mario Singer
Daughter: Avery

While Avery has officially crossed over and become a girl name, it still sounds a little to masculine to me. It's a great name, though, but way too trendy for my taste. I do think Avery Singer has a nice flow to it, so I give it a C.
"Real Housewives of New York" star Kelly Killoren Bensimon and daughters Sea (brown hat) and Thaddeus (pink hat) raise money for the Animal Haven, SoHo, with some home-made goodies.
Photo here
Kelly Killoren Bensimon
Daughters: Sea and Thaddeus "Teddy"

Here's another example of someone who was married to a Frenchman [photographer Gilles Bensimon] yet chose not to go with French names for her kids. While I can't say that I hate Sea [I feel a sort of allegiance to water names because of Bay], it is kind of awkward to say and certainly doesn't sound like a sister for Thaddeus.

Speaking of Thaddeus, that's also a male name. I think it's awesome, though, and I love the nickname Teddy. I actually have Theodora at the top of my list for the next girl and plan to call her Teddy. Who knew I had so much in common with Kelly? In any case, I feel torn because on the one hand, the names don't go together. On the other hand, I can appreciate both because they're so similar to Bay's and my nonexistent future child's name. I'll give her a C+ [points deducted for sibling name discord].
Photo here
Cindy Barshop
Daughters: Zoe and Jesse

I honestly hate these names. One is feminine, one is masculine, and they don't sound like siblings at all. Some sites have the spelling listed as Jessie but either way, I just don't get that at all. It reminds me of Uncle Jesse and it's so 80s. Zoe's a real name but it's way overdone. Grade: F.
Bethenny Frankel and Bryn Hoppy - Bethenny Frankel And Family Out For An Early Dinner In Tribeca
Photo here
Bethenny Frankel and Jason Hoppy
Daughter: Bryn

She's no longer on RHONY but I thought I'd include her anyway. Brian was the name of Jason's brother who died in a car accident. Apparently a nickname of his was Bryn [it's an actual masculine Welsh name] so they named their daughter that to honor him. Her middle name is Casey, though, which I don't understand or like. I'll give them a D+ [points added for honoring a family member and deducted because I don't like either name].
Photo here
It's a mystery: I can't find anything online that says what Sonja Morgan's daughter's name is. Weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment